A visitor’s guide to driving in the UK

A majority of foreign visitors arriving in the UK often find driving on the left-hand side unusual. It may take some time for your mind to switch and adopt when you are from a country that drives on the right side. To help adjust quickly, take some two to three days to learn. You can take some online driving practice lessons before you arrive. This will help you to become familiar with and avoid accidents. If you are a visitor arriving from Canada or the US, it is important to keep in mind that most cars in the UK are manual, making things more complicated. You can use online review sites as UK.collected.reviews to look for companies that rent out cars and seek them to offer you automatic vehicles. This article aims to makes it easy to drive for visitor’s arriving in the UK by providing a UK’s visitors driving guide.

Legal requirements

Coming with your car to the UK

If you choose to bring your vehicle for your trip to the UK, you need to be privy to a few things
Papers you need to carry 

  • Vehicle ownership document
  • Your ID or Passport
  • A valid driving licence
  • The European Economic Area (EEA) mutually and fully recognizes all valid licences across.
  • Breakdown and Accident cover
  • Check if you’ve got a comprehensive cover- This is typically recognized across European countries. It covers expenses incurred if your car got damaged or stolen.
  • A European Accident Statement
  • This is uniform across the EU, and in case your car got involved in an accident, it will help speed up the process of settling a claim.
  • Green Insurance card
  • Though you are not obligated by law to have a green insurance card, it is recommended that you have it. In case of accident while abroad, it provides all information you may require.
  • Motor insurance certificate.


  • To drive your vehicle on roads in the UK, you must have a motor insurance
  • The minimum requirement by law is to have a third party insurance
  • If you are not insured to drive, you will be arrested, and you will be penalized 6 penalty points and €300.
  • You should always buckle your seatbelt when in vans and cars.
  • It would even be better if you would have additional international travel insurance. This is offered at different rates depending on the insurance company you go for.
  • Carry your certificate of international travel.

Equipment that you should carry in the car

  • A reflective jacket
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Warning triangle
  • First aid kit
  • Spare light bulbs

Hiring a car

In the UK you’ll find lots of flexible and convenient car rental companies

Tips to get the best deal

Check your fuel policy: Every car rental company offer various fuel policies. Thus compare prices from different fuel companies and go for the most suitable deal.
Shop around: Car rental companies offer diverse prices, and some even have discounts and special offers. Look what different companies have to offer. Check out for any inclusive …